Tuesday, January 19, 2021

September 1971

In the early and mid '80s I used to pick up The Model Builder magazine when I could find it on newsstands. I particularly liked the free flight balsa builds by Walt Mooney. I didn't build any, but I admired his articles and drawings. When I discovered that Digitek Books was selling a collection of scans of the entire print run I bought a set.

One surprising thing was the first issue was dated September / October 1971, and September 1971 was also the date on the first issue of Railroad Modeler. And both were published out of the Los Angeles area: MB from Santa Anna, and RM from Canoga Park. Interesting coincidences. However, both had different objectives: The most prominent feature of The MODEL BUILDER will be up-to-the-minute news according to MB's editor, and Our main theme with RAILROAD MODELER will be to show you how to enjoy model railroading with the products available in your hobby shop according to RM's editor. Yes, and both editors referred to their respective magazines in all-caps - I guess that was the convention. Given these coincidences, I'm looking forward to whatever lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment