Friday, March 17, 2023

The E. L. Moore eBook is done….and it’s free!

First things first. The book is available in two formats: pdf and ePub. Download whichever one you like, or both, they’re free:


The Model Buildings of E. L. Moore (pdf)


The Model Buildings of E. L. Moore (ePub)


The eBook is 225 pages long and contains 617 high resolution images. The pdf version weighs in at a hefty 278.8 MB, while the ePub is a slightly slimmer 249.3 MB. It also has chapters discussing E. L. Moore’s life as a model maker, raconteur, accidental kit designer, and folk artist, as well as a bit of his personal history. An extensive bibliography finishes things up. 


I’ve chosen to produce an eBook at this time and wrap up what’s been found about E. L. Moore as I’m concerned that one day soon Google, or Alphabet, or whatever they’re called these days, will pull the plug on Blogger, and the E. L. Moore content I’ve posted here for the past 10 years will suddenly disappear. An eBook will help it live a bit longer.


Also, the eBook format allows the information that has been presented as a sequence of posts in time to be structured into a more logical narrative. Now, the book isn’t just posts that have had covers slapped on them; no, the posts formed the source material, and all the information has been rewritten, cleaned up as best I could, and reorganized.   


Sample pages

As a child in the late 1960s, and on throughout the 1970s, I loved to read and write. I’d read just about anything I could get my hands on. When I first ‘discovered’ Mr. Moore’s work in the summer of 1973, it was in the pages of a magazine, and for years I continued to read all the model railroading magazines I could find. My introduction to model railroading was via the written word and photographs, and later the hobby shop - there weren't any near my house. Those old articles also introduced me to the idea of exchanging technical information and discoveries via articles and papers, which helped to set up the beginnings of my career in science and engineering. 


While on the E. L. Moore trail for the last 10 years one thing I found quite interesting that was new to me was that Mr. Moore was also a voracious reader, not to mention a regular writer who seemed to have his fingers glued to his typewriter. At one point in the 1950s he claimed to have a library of nearly 1,000 volumes, and I later learned he was a regular patron of his local library, didn't watch or own a tv, and read a newspaper or two every day. And we know he was a dyed-in-the-wool lifetime letter writer with an extensive correspondence. I kind of feel a Fellowship of the Word with him :-) So, look, if you want to compensate me for this book, why not send some money over to a literacy charity in your part of the world. The ability to read and write is just as important today as it has ever been, and still has the power to unlock imaginations.


Well, that’s it for me for awhile. I hope you enjoy the book, and happy Saint Patrick's Day!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! And much thanks for all the help, information, and commentary you've provided all these years.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Have enjoy your blog and info on Mr Moore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just downloaded the ePub version. As a non-trainee, I’ll miss much of the significance, but I’ll like looking at the world represented in those buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a fascinating look at a long, gone world.

      Delete
  4. Well done Jim. I know you have put a huge amount of passion and detail into the book. The photographs are amazing and an inspiration. A very impressive accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing it! I have downloaded it onto my iPad and will start reading it over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim, this is a real gift to the modeling community and beyond to hobbyists of all sorts. I hope many will download it and be inspired. I am sure all who love miniature buildings and the process of creating them will find pleasure in reading about Moore's creations. Congratulations on a work well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Galen! And thank you for all your generous reviewing assistance to get it to the finish line.

      Delete
  7. Amazing! Thanks so much! Very enjoyable and inspirational so far. Many of the works look as good as the work being done today, albeit he did it 50 years ago first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Kenny! I'm amazed that the models have made it to our time in such good condition.

      Delete