Wednesday, March 8, 2023

A post about posts

I've been puttering away on scenery these past few weeks, focusing mainly on repetitious items like overhead wire poles and fence posts. Both of those items were made from bamboo skewers you can buy in bags of 100 at the grocery store. I was lucky as they turned out to be just the right size for poles and posts, not to mention they're cheap too!


Those red fence posts are used all over the Experimental Farm. I think I cut maybe 90 or so for the layout - you can count 'em if you like, but I'm not offering any prizes :-) They're dead simple to make: just take a skewer, cut the pointiest bit off the tip leaving a blunt cone, then cut the post to 15' or so, 10' of which will go into the ground. Repeat 90 times :-)

After painting the tops with white acrylic, each post was painted with a loose mixture of Tamiya XF-7 Red acrylic and Revell Aqua Color Reddish Brown. I'd don't know if their chemistries are compatible, but they mixed up just fine.

After 90 fence posts, I started to hear this song in the back of my head. Take it away Gene!

No comments:

Post a Comment