Thursday, May 31, 2012
Monday, May 21, 2012
13 May: finished gluing in the window panes; glued all walls together; added view blockers; did some touch-up painting.
16 May: did some more touch-up painting; figured out how to build the sign and made all the components.
This project was more about an idea instead of detail. I'd like to eventually get to a point where idea and detail balance out. Right now I'm at a stage where there is just enough detail to just satisfy myself that it does seem 'building-like', but more is needed to cross over into the won't-give-it-a-second-thought-it's-a-building zone of plausibility. I'd like to try and go there in future projects.
I had some trouble building the sign. What resulted was something too garish and sort of too big. There wasn't much I could do about the size short of rebuilding, but the garish colour could be easily corrected. I re-painted the most offensive parts - the overly red brick - with washes of Poly Scale aged concrete mixed with flat black. This calmed things down a bit and returned some sense of stability.
Sunday, May 20, 2012
Thursday, May 10, 2012
I’ve been spending time adding some basic ground texturing to the rural industrial area. As I’ve mentioned before, I just want a simple, flat area that can be easily reconfigured as I add or remove different buildings in order to change the scene as the mood strikes.The procedure for applying the base texturing was quite easy. I brushed on a thin coat of white glue over a 6 inch x 6 inch square area and sprinkled on some of the sand mixture I used on the beach - to get colour continuity across the layout – along with green Woodland Scenics finely ground foam. After allowing it to dry for a day, I brushed up as much of the unbonded material as I could for later reuse, and finished by vacuuming up the remaining loose material with a Shop-Vac. This left a flat region with a fine Earth-like texture. I repeated filling in 6x6 squares until I had the entire rural industrial area textured. Elapsed time was about a week, but each working session was only 30 or 45 minutes so I could do some texturing whenever I had some free time.
Once the whole area had an initial covering, it turned out that there were a few bare spots here and there, so I selectively applied a second coat of texturing to areas that needed it. However, the second pass had a bit more green texturing than sand in order to start to bring out the vegetation.
Next step will be greening up the ground a bit more and ballasting the track.
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Monday, May 7, 2012
The inside back cover has this fun Atlas ad. I’m a sucker for these kinds of drawings.
Saturday, May 5, 2012
Once the holes were filled and sanded flush, a floor was cut from styrene and glued inside the ground floor opening. Super glue was used to hold it in place. It was then on to some painting.
And the painting was actually rather enjoyable. I was getting the sense this was going to be a fun project. Successive layers of paint were starting to make this one pop. I won’t go into the details, but I hope the pictures tell the tale. I tuned up the shading on the brick, and used some thin red washes to enhance some of the exterior wood moldings.
One design element I had to decide on at this stage was where to put the stairs to get to the upper floors. After some humming and hawing, I figured they’d go against the back wall, and I’d add an interior wall to block the staircase from full view via the main windows. All one can see from a secondary end window are the stairs leading up to the yoga studio. I added a door at the end of the stair wall to suggest a small storage room, or stairs to a basement.
The windows were a bit tricky. As I mentioned, I didn’t want to do a full interior detailing and build out the interior window frames visually suggested by the exterior window framing. In the end, I simply cut a piece of clear plastic for each window, drew a ‘frame’ along it’s perimeter with silver and black Sharpie pens to simulate some sort of aluminum frame, and then superglued it over the window opening. It’s serviceable.