Sunday, May 20, 2012

June 1974 and June 2012

[That's June 1974 on the left, and June 2012 on the right.]

A couple of days ago I was chatting on the phone with my friend vp. He told me he had a photo in the June Model Railroader Trackside Photos section (page 77), so I picked up a copy on my way out of town.

[Here's the centre-fold of each issue. That's a J. Harold Geissel drawing in the June '74 issue on the left.]

I had picked up some issues of Model Railroader from 1972 a few weeks ago and I'm still thinking about those old issues. The oldest June issue I have in my collection is June 1974. From the covers, you can see the difference in styles between then and now. The '74 issue has that strong '70s image orientation, and the 2012 has lots of textual call-outs. Although, it's interesting that both cover designs use the diagonal as the organizing element.

No comments:

Post a Comment