Saturday, March 25, 2017

Reader's cities

In January I connected the free version of Google Analytics into the blog. It collects some interesting stats; some I have no idea what they mean. One that's particularly interesting is the list of cities where the blog is read. Here are the top 10:
1. Ottawa, Canada
2. Melbourne, Australia
3. Bristol, USA (not sure which state)
4. Virginia Beach, Virginia
5. London, Ohio
6. Stoneham, Massachusetts
7. Boston, Massachusetts
8. Toronto, Canada
9. Ridgecrest, California
10. Ashland, North Carolina
But, as is shown in the map, readership is rather spread out. Thank-you to everyone for taking some time to stop by wherever you are!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

EVRR unwound

The uppermost level of the EVRR can be unwound so that the lower level plan is clearer. Over on the left there are several return loops. The bars mark where isolating rail joiners need to be inserted. I think I've got them all, but I'll look at it again in a few days with fresh eyes. If you see anything odd, please leave a comment.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Tracing of the EVRR track plan

[Look at the lines in the lower right. They're quite different from my first guess.That corner has been a puzzler.]

I enlarged, enhanced and printed out the EVRR track plan scan. I then traced it on to some paper to better see the lines. I've done a few tracings since this one to help me work out the wiring. It's tricky and I think a couple different wiring schemes are possible. And I'm wondering if E. L. Moore designed this plan. Maybe someone else did. For someone who freely admitted he wasn't too skilled with wiring, it's a head scratcher.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Aquisition #2 for EVRR 2

I headed out today to the OVAR spring swap meet with John and Garrett. I had a bit of luck and found these old time N scale passenger cars. They'll need some new couplers and repainting, but they're just the thing for the EVRR.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Arnie's 361

I was going through some E. L. Moore photos when it dawned on me that he used an 0-6-0 loco on the Enskale Hoentee. In part three of the series he mentions that it was the N scale Rapido 0-6-0 switcher.
[Arnold-Rapido 0-6-0 sourced from - an excellent online reference.]

This loco is very close to the Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 I bought for the EVRR, so using it on the layout is at least in the Moorian universe of possible things.

Friday, March 17, 2017

New layout base

That's the base for the new HO streetcar layout. It's built-up from these birch art panels >
Two, 2'x3' ones and one 2'x4' centre section. The 2'x4' is up there on the rolling frame that has supported my last two layouts.
[That's the old EVRR track plan. I need to get the lead out and update the plan with the recent finding.]

I'm using a 2'x3' art panel as a base for the N-scale EVRR, and a 2'x2' one for the HOJPOJ diorama. I wondered if three of them could be bolted together to make a base for a larger layout: one that would be fairly easy to take apart so it could be hauled outside to the backyard for photos, or upstairs for showing off at Christmas. It wouldn't have to withstand the rigours of being taken to shows, or joined up with other modules to make some gigantic club layout, so I thought, how light can I build it if it only has to entertain us around the house? Like the EVRR, maybe I could even hang it on a wall like a painting - with accessories placed on a shelf of course.
Before I jumped into the job of bolting panels together I did some thinking about a track plan - which I'll get into in another post - and about weighing all the components so I had some idea about the weight of the thing. The old LOL got crazy heavy, so this time I figured I'd weigh everything and keep track of the weight as I go along. Here's the weight breakdown so far,
2, 2' x 3' birch art panels: 3.6 kg
1, 2' x 4' birch art panel: 2.2 kg
2, 10" metal straps: 0.280 kg
2, 5" metal angles: 0.283 kg
28, 1/4" washers: 0.085 kg
16, 1 1/4" bolts: 0.173 kg
22, 1/4" nuts: 0.079 kg
6, 2" bolts: 0.083 kg
Total = 6.783 kg ( ~ 15 lb)

For comparison, the EVRR train board, which is a 2' x 3' birch art panel with a 1/4" cork sub-base glued on, weighs in at about 2.27 kg (about 5 lb on the dot).

Cost-wise, we're looking at about $100 CDN for everything, which is a bit high, but I didn't want to get into a lot of cutting and nailing and gluing, so I opted for art panels and nuts and bolts, which altogether are a bit more expensive than buying pieces of wood.
The straps and angles are to distribute the stresses associated with the end panels hanging off the centre panel. The straight straps are 10 inchers. Longer ones probably would have been better, but ones longer than 10 inches were considerably thicker, and I didn't want the extra weight.
Likewise the angles are 5 inches on each leg. Bigger ones were also thicker and heavier. I think these will do. We'll see,
That picture shows all the panels bolted together before I flipped it over. I don't know if this will be successful, but time will tell.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Today's E. L. Moore's birthday

E. L. Moore was born on 14 March 1898. He'd be 119 today. If there's a scratchbuilding project you've been putting off, today's a good day to start. Especially if it's made of balsa :-)