Tuesday, January 19, 2021

A sign for the Mortimer subway entrance

As I contemplate and build street stuff for the the layout, one important piece of missing stuff is a sign noting the presence of a subway entrance at the Mortimer station. All the street level subway entrances of the TTC have them, so to me if one wasn't at Mortimer, something was wrong. I had some parts lying around, so I decided to give it a try to make one for the Mortimer station entrance. 






I started with an N-scale street lamp, breaking off the decorative plastic lamp cover to expose its small incandescent bulb. 

The front and back signs are cut from photos I took of the real thing. There are various styles in use, and I chose one of the older ones that lent itself to easy model making. The signs are glued with Weld Bond to pieces of thin, clear plastic. The outer surfaces of the signs are smeared with a thin coat of Weld Bond.









The signs were then glued to the top of the post so they surrounded the bulb. Several applications of Weld Bond were used to fill the gap between the signs.

Once dry, the entire piece was painted with aluminum coloured acrylic paint.












When lit with a 9 VDC battery, the sign's lettering is readable, although all the pictures I took just show a blob of light. I likely need to lower the voltage, and fiddle with my camera settings to get a decent photo.

Will the heat from the bulb melt the Weld Bond holding this thing together? I don't know. I suspect if the voltage is low enough, this might not be a problem, but time will tell.

The two street level photos in this post gave me a good vibe, even though the lit sign doesn't present too well. The size and spacing of items along the street, as well as the buildings, look about right. Although, the environment is a little too clean, and all the street stuff has yet to be added.

2 comments:

  1. I'm still discovering the wonders of Weld Bond adhesive. Not sure about the heat tolerance. This scene looks great now - it'll be even better with all the detail you have planned, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a bit of a voyage of discovery with Weld Bond. As long as it doesn't catch fire, I guess things are ok :-)

      Delete