Friday, January 22, 2021

Vacationist

Vacationist: A model builder who works on projects while on vacation.

Usage: The kit’s balance of detail and straightforward construction made it a vacationist’s dream project.

Source: The word was first used by Gladys “Butch” Grabert in her July 15, 1951 Model Trains article, An Athearn Reefer: This new Athearn refrigerator car kit is an excellent one for the beginner or vacationist. It gives the modeler plenty to do and at the same time requires but a minimum of tools. The most thorough demonstration of what it means to be a vacationist is presented by Bill Hoffmann, Jr. in his October 1972 Traction & Models article, Vacation with Hoffmann. In it Mr. Hoffmann describes his 1971 family vacation in the mountains of Alpine County, California, where interspersed with trout fishing, mountain climbing, and other family-type activities he managed to build 11 O-scale P.E. 800 Class cars outside their cabin on a very rustic looking 2’x4’ table over a 3 week trip.

from The Dictionary of Non-Existent Model Railroad Terms, 2nd ed., 1999.

2 comments:

  1. One of the most productive modeling periods to date has been an interim time I spent at a small table in a cabin. I was staying there to begin a new job until we found a house. My family was a few hours away packing so I had time on my hands in the evenings to devote to model building. I'd drive home every other week to help pack and of course bring up a new project. It was a very vacationist enterprise because I had limited tools and supplies at my disposal, but as mentioned, was quite productive and intensely satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds ideal! Thanks for sharing that experience. Debra and I lived in a remote cabin when we returned to Ontario, and even though I wasn't a model builder at the time, I completed a lot of paintings and overall it was a great experience.

      Delete