Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Preparing Thrifty's sign

On this project the sign is the most prominent and most important element. So, I went ahead and built it so I could use it as a guide to sizing and positioning the building's other elements.

The first thing I did was discard my previous sign printout as I thought the yellow background colour was a little too lemony. I printed another where the yellow was shifted a bit more to a golden yellow-orange shade.

The sign's frame was built up from strips of 0.040" styrene. After painting the frame flat black, the sign was glued on with Weld Bond, and then a clear piece of plastic was glued on top. A black Sharpie pen was used to ink a frame on the clear piece.

The sides have been sized to accommodate LED strips. They'll likely need some filtering so they don't create hot spots when lit. However, I'll leave LED installation to later as now that the sign structure is finished I can move on to creating a drawing for the facade, and laying out the building's main parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment