Friday, January 15, 2021

Workbench Scenes: Fire hydrants & Parking meters

Fire hydrants & parking meters being painted.

The layout needs a lot of 'street stuff' to make it credible: mailboxes, sewer grates, manhole covers, trash cans, newspaper boxes, street signs, traffic signs, fire hydrants, phone booths, parking meters, bike racks, and so on and so on. One or two of these things won't do; it would be like a 'forest' with just one or two trees. I need these things in bulk. 

I found some 8 packs of fire hydrants made by Atlas that looked pretty close to those along some TTC routes of interest, so I bought a couple packs. Along with some miscellaneous ones I already owned - which can be used to represent hydrants along older streets - I think I'll have enough hydrants to make the layout seem like it has at least rudimentary fire protection :-) The 6 parking meters are Walthers items I found in my spares box. Ocean Boulevard isn't open to automobile traffic - much like King St. - so the meters will be installed on side streets. No, I won't be modelling HO scale change for a dollar :-)

2 comments:

  1. We mostly walk/drive by all that street clutter (furniture) without paying any heed. It is invisible, always there, I did not realise just how many you have there. We don't have 'above ground' Fire Hydrants this side of the pond, just rectangular plates in the pavement (sidewalk?) and a yellow 'H' sign on the wall side of the pavement, so even more invisible except to Fire and Water employees.
    As an industrial archaeologist I ought to be far more aware of all the clutter, perhaps I should take some lockdown walks looking 'down'.
    You don't mention Stink Pipes (sewer vents) is your sewage system better laid out? I don't recall seeing an HO kit to produce them, they are more than just a rod of plasticard, mostly with wider, cast, bases and 'fancy' tops (spinning sometimes) there are Instagram groups for them in London and Melbourne. - Is there any subject not covered with a social media group(s)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit to not being all that familiar with the range of sewer accoutrements and should investigate further :-) I also forgot things like traffic light control boxes and telephone junction boxes. I began to realize there is a lot of stuff along a street once I started to look for and list it than I had realized.

    ReplyDelete