Tuesday, January 12, 2021

General store, Waupoos, Ontario, 1940s ?

The photo of Brampton's main street in the 1940s generated a lot of off-line discussion, so I thought I'd post this one of Brown & Son General Merchants in Waupoos, Ontario. I think this one was also taken in the late 1940s, but the early 1950s is a possibility.

This is another classic modelgenic building. Its simple structure would make it easy to build, and it has some interesting details out front - a later day Penny Model candidate :-)

4 comments:

  1. Insulbrick? I'd go with some type of printed paper for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is insulbrick. Waupoos is located in Prince Edward County, and I've contacted the historical society there to see if they might have any information on this business.

      Delete
  2. Almost looks like a faux shingled siding. The pattern doesn't appear to be repeating regularly enough to be Insulbrick, and even when newly applied the joints between panels were often visible whereas this appears to be a pretty unified surface. If it does turn out to be Insulbrick, Clever Models has a downloadable paper texture for that in several shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. The PEC historical society got back to me and indicated they might be able to look into this photo next week. Maybe they'll have some more information.

      Delete