Sunday, January 3, 2021

Steinberg's is open for business

Open for business? Not really, but major construction is finished.

I had to make 2 more signs: one for the glass front wall, and another for the left side wall. Both were made using the same technique used on the right side wall sign

One thing I should note is that I've used logos from different periods in the company's corporate history. Also, there seems to be an involved story about the use of Steinberg and Steinberg's, and once again, I haven't been consistent. I've mixed and matched for this model. The main sign on the front glass wall is what I recall as the sign used on this store at Cedarbrae Plaza in the late '60s and early '70s, and it's based on one of the reference photos I showed in the series first post. The side wall side is cut from an image found on the internet which seemed suitable for the model's side walls. So the message is: don't take my use of signage as historically accurate and consistent.

Take care if you decide to have a go with the sign construction method I've used. Over there is a little discussed puncture wound caused by paying too much attention to the record player and not enough to the business at hand :-) so to speak.





But, once the blood flow was staunched, and work continued, the end results weren't too bad.








One thing I should have mentioned earlier in the series was that to give the box that forms the main structure better rigidity, I glued on the roof and cut openings in the floor. Later I'll add some sort of photos or graphics for the interior as well as some lights. 



The last step was to fill the front planter with some ground foam bushes from Woodland Scenics. White glue was painted in the planter, and applied to the bushes, to get the plantings to stay in place. I don't remember the prototype ever being this lush and bursting with plants. It was usually pretty sparse and grim with the main crop being cigarette butts. 



And that's that. This building wasn't located by a streetcar line, although there were a couple of TTC bus stops nearby along Lawrence Avenue. But, it's not looking too bad along Ocean Boulevard.

4 comments:

  1. You know, I wonder if the upside down pyramid shelter was just as difficult to construct in real life? Looks challenging to the uninitiated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder about that too. On the model once everything is glued together, it is surprisingly strong, but like flying model airplanes, I think that strength is mainly due to scale effects.

      Delete
  2. I like mixing the 2 logos. Gets 2 eras in and can be explained by ... they were too lazy to update both signs or... you just liked one of both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I like your thinking :-) Much better than me having a faulty memory and not remembering what sign was on the side. Although, I think you're right that the end sign might not have been updated when the logo changed.

      Delete