Sunday, January 10, 2021

Starting Thrifty's

Images of Thrifty's on Yonge harvested from the internet

Thrifty's was a retail store that sold blue jeans. I think it had outlets throughout Toronto, but the one that sticks in my mind is the one shoehorned between A& A records and Sam the Record Man on Yonge Street. It's the sign I'm stuck on. I think it would be quite striking on the layout. 

The building Thrifty's was in wasn't always Thrifty's, but until sometime in the early '70s (?) it housed Steele's Tavern. I show Steele's here because it gives a little clearer view of the building's structure. This Thrifty's was eventually taken over by an extension to the neighbouring Sam the Record Man.

There's going to be considerable guess work in building this structure, but the key to sizing it is the sign. I worked up a draft sign in Keynote using standard fonts to get a sign that seemed to have the right size. From the sign, and comparisons to A&A next door, I should be able to approximate the size and shape of the Thrifty's store. 

Now, I say this all the time, but this time gosh darn it I mean it, I want this build to be quick :-) It's more-or-less all facade, so the rest will just be a box. The facade appears to be all black, other than the sign, so that simplifies things a bit. I'm thinking of using some sort of progression modelling on this project, so maybe that'll help speed things up.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, gonna need some etched metal railing on top. Do you have any old European kitbash leftovers for those dormers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the railing I thought of using some Atlas keyhole fencing I have in my parts box, although later replacing it with something fancier would be good. I don't have any dormers, but I have some window castings with circular tops from Tichy Train Group. I plan to build dormers from card and add the Tichy windows. Since the entire building is painted black, the colour might hide any boo-boos in dormer construction :-)

      Delete
  2. Don't go too black. Looks a bit more like dark gray. Needs contrast just like a steam engine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. Assessing the colours on these projects is one of the more tricky aspects of the work.

      Delete