Saturday, January 16, 2021

A drawing and walls for Thrifty's

When I do a drawing for a model building its purpose is to help me understand the sizes, shapes, and positioning of the various items that make up the structure. It isn't meant to be a work of art, or to be complete.

I'll often do two drawings like I did here: the first one is rough and is to help me figure out what will be included in the model, and the second is a more properly scaled and sized layout. On the second one I've positioned the plastic mouldings that I'll be using to check their fit.

I do pencil drawings only because they give me a sense that I understand the project when I'm done. I don't get that feeling from a CAD package. It's just a personal thing.

I wanted to do things differently for this project for no other reason than to have a change, so I'm making this model primarily from card instead of plastic. The walls are cut from Strathmore 500 series 4-ply Bristol board. I bought a few sheets of Strathmore 500 series in various thicknesses on a trip to the US back before the pandemic as I haven't seen this material for sale here. The photo shows the walls being laid out in a long strip on the 4-ply.

Given the thickness of the material, I decided to cut out each wall in order to build them into a box instead of scoring the wall edges and folding the strip into a box. I don't think the folding method would produce sharp corners with material this thick.


The next step will be to add reinforcements to the inside wall surfaces, and to build the pieces into a box.




No comments:

Post a Comment