Monday, July 1, 2019

E. L. Moore, Interior Designer

The post with the enhanced interior photo of E. L. Moore's Elizabethton Depot got me thinking that I should enhance all the interior shots I have of E. L. Moore's models. When I first posted them I tried to keep them naturalistic, but in many cases details were obscured by strong shadows. In the photos that follow I have deliberately gotten rid of as much shadowing as I can, and overexposed the images a bit to highlight interior details and finishes.

The colour photos posted below are ones I shot back in 2015 of a collection of E. L. Moore original models, and the black & white photos came from either: ones shot by E. L. Moore that I restored in 2016; or ones provided by Paul Zimmerman that accompanied a number of lost E. L. Moore articles - I'll make note by each image regarding the source.

The model above is Mr. Moore's Schoolhouse and so is this one below.
Village School (Paul Zimmerman collection)
This is one of E. L. Moore's mountain cabins.
Wells Fargo Store mentioned in Crossroads Store article (E. L. Moore archive)
Crossroads Store (E. L. Moore archive)
Crossroads Store (Paul Zimmerman collection)
Either the Grizzly Flats or Blue Lake Depot (E. L. Moore archive)
Cal's Lumber Yard (E.L. Moore archive)
Second floor of the Red Eye Saloon (E. L. Moore archive)
Log version of the Little Church on the Hill (Paul Zimmerman collection)
Ground floor of the Clarabel Hotel (E. L. Moore archive)

Spumoni Club Coach (E. L. Moore archive)
Branch Line Station (E. L. Moore archive)

The number of models with detachable roofs is surprising. Not all interiors were detailed, but many were finished to a degree that would allow for later detailing. I sometimes wonder why he went to all that effort to make a clean interior, but never got around to detailing it.

If you're interested into other deep dives into E. L. Moore visual arcana you might want to check out Moore Green, The Adventures of Baby Spumoni, or The Adventures of E. L. Moore, Train Photographer.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting...I was just leafing through an old RMC and found the C Reid for Feed & Seed, If memory serves me right, the drawings in that article included more suggestions of how the office interior might be arranged.

    Also, I have to say that shoe-horning interiors into kits for which no interior was planned can be a challenging exercise. I was able to get a waiting room, office and baggage room into the Fallburgh Station, but the arrangement is less than ideal and doesn't resemble Fallberg's drawings that closely.

    I suppose the advantage of scratchbuilding structures of your own design is the ability to determine what walls, windows and doors go where and why.

    Speaking of interiors, how's the museum coming along?

    Galen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much to my shame, progress is slow. Typing and interneting and blogging can be done outside in the backyard in the beautiful weather, but for me model making is an inside activity. If, god forbid, some bad weather turns up, I'll be making picking up the x-acto knife again. Also, the good weather is good for outside model photography.

      Delete