Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Laying track in the monolith excavation

Initial stages of installing the risers out of the pit up to launch pad level.

After completing the installation of track around the launch pad I decided to get going on laying track at the other end of the layout: the pit where the monolith is located.

A bird's eye view of the overall track plan before the hard work began.

It's a bit tricky installing this track as it needs to spiral out of the excavation, so it has to go around as it goes up. Design-wise, I've limited the grade to 5%, as I don't think the lunar loco will be able to pull more than one, maybe two, cars, and 5% will be quite enough grade for it to handle.

Stay tuned! More to come.

2 comments:

  1. What an original idea. You have my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still not sure I can pull this project off, but it's interesting to try.

      Delete