Saturday, May 30, 2026

Rolling stock for the Community Garden Layout

A people mover of dubious safety and legality

From time-to-time I've been working on two pieces of rolling stock for the community garden layout: a people mover, and a compost gondola.

I should have taken construction photos, but I wasn't in a documentation frame-of-mind while working on these. The people mover is basically a little flat car built from scraps of styrene, balsa, and wire on a Peco N-guage chassis.

The compost car.

Including a compost car in the 'fleet' was a suggestion from Galen. My instantiation is based on an old Atlas N-scale gondola. Not much has been done to it other than repainting, 'lettering', and installing a custom coupling bar and ring.


Both cars use a ring attached to a long bar for coupling to the locomotive. The long bar is necessary because the curves have such a tight radius: 3-1/2" inches. This prevents the car from jamming or flipping as it is pulled around a curve.

They both need a bit more weathering and colour, but at this stage I wanted to make sure they tracked properly when pulled, and have them around for comparison sizing the other layout elements.

4 comments:

  1. That ore car "scales" down nicely! I'm sure I've got one of those in the stash somewhere...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite happy with the spacing of the ladder rungs, and the riveting doesn't look too bad either.

      Delete