Wednesday, May 6, 2026

Brothers in RDC

I thought you might be interested in seeing how the RDC-M compares in size to some of its brethren. In the photo up there is an Atlas Proto 1000 RDC at the top, in the middle is an Athern RDC, and at the bottom is the RDC-M based on an Athern RDC body shell. The internet tells me the Atlas has the correct prototype length, and the box stock Athern in the middle should be the same length, but you can see it isn't.


So, the mini RDC is indeed quite mini.

Now, don't go gettin' all judgey about the RDCs out there, and remember that all God's RDCs got a little bit of soul. Hmmm, maybe I didn't hear that right? You can listen for yourself while I'm gone for coffee:

4 comments:

  1. How odd that the Athearn model is so much shorter - that's a significant discrepancy. I wonder if RDCs came in various lengths, or if Athearn's length was a concession to the tight-radius lowest common denominator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was, as you stated, a design decision so it could be run on common tight radius curves. The Way Out Layout has 9" radius curves entering and exiting the street section and the stock Athern has no problem negotiating them; however, the Atlas gets stuck, and I suspect the Rapido would too since it's long like the Atlas.

      Delete
  2. The Athearn model might be smaller but it has a big heart. Or something.

    I agree it was probably a design decision.

    Your RDC-M must be able to run on street car track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unlike its real big brothers, the RDC-M can run where streetcars roam :-) Logically speaking though the model doesn't make. a lot of sense because using an actual streetcar chassis on a chopped version of the real thing would be far too light and most likely underpowered, but it does make for an interesting little model.

      Delete