I continue to look for my father's copy of Bleak House, but it's starting to look bleak as to whether I still have it. During my search I found this copy of The Golden Years of East York, published in 1976 by Centennial College Press. The editorial pages tell me who did the design, production, photographic reproduction, and typesetting, but not who wrote it. I guess it was a group effort?
As I was thumbing through it I was quite pleased to find a little discussion on the origin of the Hollinger Bus Lines, a ticket issued by the company I found earlier in the search.
![]() |
| Left: "Hollinger Bus Lines" | Right: "The Hollinger Bus Drivers" |
The unknown author has this to say on the origins of Hollinger Bus Lines:
"Public transportation in East York at the time of incorporation was almost nonexistent. The old Belt Line Railway along the rear of what is now the Don Valley Brick Works had long since fallen into disuse. The Marginal Boulevard proposed in 1921 by the Toronto Harbour Commissioners, which would have provided ready and uninterrupted access to the downtown core, had never been completed. A Mr. Featherly had operated a horse-drawn bus up and down Don Mills Road (now Broadview) when it was still unpaved and lined on both sides with deep ditches, but this was also soon discontinued. Later, Mr. Pedlar operated a bus in the same area.
In 1920, John Hollinger started a service up and down Woodbine as far as Plains Road, where Woodbine came to a dead end. Mr. Hollinger endured his share of hardships as he ploughed through snow drifts in winter and a quagmire of mud every spring. When passengers were scarce, John used his bus to deliver butter and eggs to neighbourhood housewives. Apparently, he never took time off for meals but had them carried to him by his young daughter May and son Barclay through the fields from his home, which was on the site of the present Trillium Apartments"



No comments:
Post a Comment