I've been working on working out the details of positioning the track for the Tintin 2001 layout. It's very technical and mathematical and geometrical and doesn't make for fantastical posts, even though my arithmetical flubs can be comical :-)
I'm going to install the track in two stages: first in the landing / launch level, and then in the monolith pit, which will be much more challenging. The circular hole and rectangular cutout in the above photo are the excavations for the blast trench. It will be spanned by a bridge for the train, not to be used during launch or landing!
![]() |
| Testing, testing, testing |
I'm also doing some tests to figure out the minimum turning radius of the RDC-M. It can handle the 9" radius curves on the Way Out Layout no problem, but it jams in the 3-1/4" radius curves on the E. L. Moore micro-layout. Some impromptu tests with flex track bent freehand suggest some radius between 9" and 6" is the limit. I'm hoping it's closer to 6 than 9, but I'll have to abide by whatever more rigorous testing shows.
Well, I'm off for coffee, and maybe a movie. I'm watching a lot of sci-fi films these days, what with being submerged in the Tintin 2001 layout and all. I hadn't seen Dune, so I gave it a try. There was one scene that seemed like a cross between something I had seen ages ago in Enter the Dragon accompanied by the old Blue Swede song, Hooked on a Feeling. I assure you I was only drinking coffee, but I nearly fell out of the Lazy-Boy laughing. Test it for yourself. Here's the song. Don't spill your coffee :-)


No comments:
Post a Comment