Monday, May 25, 2026

Scenery begins

Track ballasting is not a job I like. However, I figured I had put it off long enough, and once it was done I could get on with other scenic tasks I find more enjoyable. 


Since the pedestrian pathway is also gravel I added it too as I worked on track ballasting. Ballast is a mixture of fine and medium grade grey, brown, and black ballast gravels from Woodland Scenics. 


I'm going to have to work on the colour a little with thin acrylics to bring it in line with actual gravel in the community garden shown in the above photo. Anyone watching me take photos like this one must wonder about the old lunatic seemingly taking pictures of his shoes, but, hey, one must do seemingly crazy things at times for one's art :-)


On a recent walk I noticed a solar panel had been installed on the roof of the shed. It was added sometime after I made this post about the shed through the seasons. I added one to my little shed using a piece of black construction paper. There's also a wire that runs from the panel, inside through a hole at the top of the other end wall, but I left that off as it would complicate the removable roof I have on the model.


I like to keep assessing the overall look of the layout as I progress. In the above photo I think the shed is a little too close to the path. I plan to move it back, as close to the track as I can so that there's more breathing room between the red flower pots and the path. I'll have to re-drill the hole for the shed's light to make the move, but that's no big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment