![]() |
| An image from the famous take-off scene in The Dam Busters. Three of the nine Lancaster bombers on their way to Germany's Ruhr Dams on 16 May 1943. |
I jokingly referred to the 1955 movie, The Dam Busters, in a post about busting beaver dams near the Havelock yard. I hadn't watched it in decades, so I rented a copy and sat down one blustery afternoon last week and watched again. I wasn't disappointed.
I can't comment on its historical accuracy, but I will say it's a docudrama. I don't know how it would fare with today's audiences as its dialogue is sometimes politically incorrect, the special effects are crude by today's standards, and the pacing is slow compared to modern films.
![]() |
| A Lancaster bomber at the Canadian Aviation & Space Museum circa 2018 Of the 133 airmen on the dam busters raid, 30 were Canadians, half didn't return. |
But, that said, the aircraft scenes, the portrayal of the mission, the acting, and the emotional and psychological veracity are compelling. Also, the portrayal of real-life engineering, its ups and downs, its bureaucratic frustrations, and its sometimes exhilarating successes feel real to me as a lapsed aeronautical engineer. I was glad to see the legendary engineer Barnes Wallis portrayed in the movie, and that his role wasn't minimized.
I'd rate it 8.5 to 9 out of 10.
![]() |
| Paperback version published by Abacus, 2008. |
I said I'd write more about books, so here's one with a little Dam Busters spin.
The book is full of these sorts of gems. Get it, and watch the film.



No comments:
Post a Comment