Sunday, May 10, 2026

Shell for the Rail + Launch Control Building

For some time I've had an idea for a kitbashed building based on the Moebius Moon Bus kit to serve as a combined lunar launch control and rail control centre for the Tintin 2001 layout.


I've had this kit on my shelf for longer than I care to admit. I think I bought it when it was first released. At the time my intent was to build it up as shown on the box into a replica of the 2001 movie moon bus. At one time I did make a start on that, but lost interest and returned the partially started kit to its box.

That was a long time ago now, and it was dawning on me that I was never going to build a box-stock moon bus, and I should just overcome my reticence, get out the razor saw and grinding tool, and dive into the kitbash no matter how sacrilegious that seemed.


 As well, I wanted to check the size and shape of this fantasy lunar building in the layout mockup. The building has a row of windows along each long side so that one row looks towards the launch pad and the other towards the pit. That seems ideal for this setup. I should note the building will be slightly elevated, maybe around 25mm to 50mm above the surface of the launch pad, so it will look down into the pit. Overall, it's size, shape, and location looks just right to me.


I studied the instructions and parts until I had figured out how to make a start. I separated out the components I planned to use into a tray.


I started by assembling the passenger compartment according to the instructions.


I left off the flight deck and used the interior bulkhead that separates the flight deck from the passenger compartment as an exterior wall. It's an interesting piece because the molded on doors used to secure the flight deck are now exterior doors, which I intend to use as doors to a moon buggy garage.


After initial assembly I got out my Dremel motor tool, with a sanding drum attached, and ground off all the detail suggestive of this being a spacecraft fuselage that appeared below the belt line.


I then glued 0.040" thick styrene panels over top of the areas that had been ground down. More appropriate building-like detail will be added to these areas later.


The new, smooth panels were used as a guide to trim the bottom level. I should mention there was a lot of careful sanding and filing at this point to get the bottom even. The photo shows the side door units glued on. That step was done after the building's main walls were finished, as getting the door units shortened and levelled was a job unto itself.


And that is that for the shell. The next part will be to detail it and add an interior for the garage. You can see the opening for the garage in the photo above. Those doors would never withstand the pressure gradient between the inside and outside, but hopefully most viewers won't realize that, or will at least allow me artistic license on this detail :-)

9 comments:

  1. Your bravery will be rewarded - spare not the sacred shell and you shall achieve a stellar kitbash.

    Also, what is it with "futuristic" designs from that era that made use of a diamond profile with deeply angled walls? 2001 came out in '68 and no doubt had an influence on other artists and designers of the time. Horizons at EPCOT Center was designed in the late 70s, as was much of EPCOT Center though people equate its early aesthetic with an "80s" look since it opened in '82. Search for "EPCOT Horizons Nova Cite" and look at the background paintings as well as the ride structure itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Yeah, now that you mention it, I don't know what's up with those walls. If I was to guess I'd start a search for influences in the work of Bruce McCall or Syd Mead. Maybe they had something to do with it?

      Delete
    2. I see it more in Syd Mead than Bruce McCall, though since you mentioned McCall, ROBERT McCall was responsible for a large mural featured in the exit hallway of Horizons and I suspect his influence in much of the attraction's futurism. The "kaleidoscope" images at the entry queue are well aligned with Syd Mead's style; he is often cited as an influence on EPCOT's design and is directly responsible for some attraction concept art.

      Delete
    3. Yikes! Thanks for the correction! I've got an old NASA book around here with some of McCall's art in it. I need to go have a look. I've seen some of Mead's here and there, but I don't have a comprehensive reference to study.

      Delete
    4. Ok. I see my problem. I got confused with Bruce McCall who authored the book called 'Zany Afternoons'. A hilarious book, but no space stuff in there,

      Delete
  2. Now, do I believe my eyes. Do we really have a moon bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it used to be a moon bus, but I guess it was grounded :-)

      Delete
  3. How do you like that Revell glue, Jim? I couldn't get my old standby Testor's in the orange/tube and got Revell instead. It sets up a bit slower but seems to hold well for me.

    Out of this world post!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I quite like the Revell glue. I find that its bond is much stronger than Testor's tube glue. I've found that it was not too difficult to pry apart joints held together by Testors (as the joints hadn't welded together as they should with styrene glue), but once the Revell had set up, those joints were solid. One downside I've experienced with the Revell product is the thin, metal dispensing tube can become clogged. I keep a piece of thin wire on hand to clean the tube if that happens. I've been using Revell glue for several years now.

      Delete