Saturday, September 12, 2020

Gil Mellé: Add cartoonist to his resumé

Gil Mellé cartoon in RMC Feb '61

You may recall that earlier this year I posted that Gil Mellé had two cartoons published in Creative Crafts in 1967. I should have taken that as a clue and looked to see if he had any model railroad cartoons published. Turns out he did. 

I was doing some digging in Railroad Model Craftsman to see if I could figure out when the Weekly Herald first came available for sale, and quite by accident I found a cartoon in the Feb '61 issue signed by Gil Mellé - it's that one over on the left. As I worked my way through 1961 I found a total of 8 cartoons. I've updated the Gil Mellé master index to make note of them. Cartoons are tricky things to find in old RMCs because they aren't listed in the table of contents, and the only way to figure out who drew them is by the signature in the cartoon itself. 

I don't think his cartoon publications were limited to 1961, and I need to try and figure out what his total output was. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment