Thursday, September 10, 2020

Jig for overhead wire poles

I've been reviewing the state of the layout, and realized that I've more-or-less got what I need to have a finished section of street-corner and a stretch along Ocean Boulevard - well, at least finished enough for some basic photos to see if the modules are developing the look I'm after. 

I want to have some overhead wire strung so any streetcar photos appear plausible. I've started work on the poles. I haven't got this down to a science yet, and I'm trying to pre-assemble as much as I can before installing components on the layout. 

The overhead wires aren't powered and are for decoration only. Each pole is made from 1/8" diameter styrene tube with a light cut from a Model Power highway light standard. The light brace is a slice of thin styrene. How the overhead wiring will be made hasn't been settled on yet, but I'll post notes here as things develop.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. How are you powering the lights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to run bus wires under the layout, attached to the underside of the module panel, and powered by a couple of old laptop power packs. The wires from the lights will be soldered to the bus.

      Delete