Friday, September 18, 2020

Was this centrefold E. L. Moore source material?

Centrefold in the Dec. '64 issue of RMC
Years go by I'm lookin' through a railroad magazine.

And there's the Ramsey Journal on the pages in-between.*

While on my Gil Mellé cartoon journey I stumbled across this centrefold in the December 1964 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman of the Ramsey Journal building - where RMC was headquartered at the time - and the neighbouring track. You may recall that E. L. Moore published an article on how to construct an HO scale model of this structure in the December 1967 issue of RMC. Was this part of his source material? Another unanswerable question.

*With apologies to The J. Geils Band.

[Update 9 May 2023: Yes, this was E. L. Moore's source material for the Ramsey Journal Building. See the post Some pictures of the Ramsey Journal Building.]

5 comments:

  1. I've seen the b/w photo before but not this color artwork. Same scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, a photo appeared in an earlier issue. There was a note with the painting that mentioned the artist had to try and figure out the colours in the scene. Maybe this was ELM's colour reference.

      Delete
  2. Ooh a discovery like this makes my blood run cold. Say, didn't Moore model a livery stable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. December 64', I was in 5th grade at St Pauls School and worked at that Railroad Station in the Painting, selling newspapers from a wooden stand outside the depot to commuters. The school bus would stop at that crossing and I would hop on, on my way to class. Thanks for the memories. I recall being a newspaper delivery boy for the Journal and going to that building around Christmas time and would be given a Silver Dollar by the Owner.

    ReplyDelete