Sunday, September 6, 2020

Weekly Herald: More bricks in the wall

I was carefully inspecting the joints between the front and side walls, and I think I may not have properly attached the front facade. However, in my defence when I glued it on it seemed to fit properly, even after some sanding and filing to improve the fit. Improve? I thought it was ideal, but now I'm not so sure. Too late now. I'm filling and smoothing the gaps as best I can to make them look normal so my secret is safe :-)

While gap inspecting I realized the backside of the false front had no detail. It's just plain plastic with some unsightly tabs that are to slip over the visible surface of the roof to hold it in place. I ground those tabs off and installed some pieces of styrene brick sheet to make the wall look more reasonable. The roof will hide most of those seams and joints in the brick sheets.

I think it's finally ready for the first round of colour. Stay tuned.......

3 comments:

  1. What one has to do!
    Looking at my varying boxings of this kit, Revell, AHM & Con-Cor, the paint fairy had a field day. Walls in totally different rainbow of colours, the roof - grey, translucent red(ish) and black.
    What colour do you plan do your roof?
    At least for the Superior Bakery Revell & AHM kept to the same, more subdued, walls - Blue, engineering brick?, The roof is grey on both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roof is a bit of a long story, but here goes.

      At first I thought the model had to have some sort of interior added because of those two huge skylights over the back half, which is a hold-over from the engine house. I thought I'd add some interior lights between the skylights, and build a detailed interior in the back half. Then I started to think through what needed to be done: adjust floor levels so doors and loading docks and interior floors made sense; add a partition to block off the office area (which meant moving the chimneys); adding paneling to the inside back walls; adding some sort of printing presses; etc, etc… It was a long list. Then I thought, what do I want to really accomplish with this build? I wasn't that interested in an involved interior detailing project. I was mainly interested in the front facade, and secondarily the other walls. Ok, so I've decided to replace the roof with one that won't have skylights, but will have an industrial-grade chimney and an air conditioner or two. Interior views will be blocked, but it will be possible to add lighting sticks from the layout if I want a lit up night scene. Overall this model will be somewhat of an anachronism on the layout, but with some judicious changes - and the roof is one - it won't look that out of place in the older city area on the layout - more on this in later posts.

      If you have any photos of those walls that you could share, that would be most excellent. With all those colours it sounds like there could be some great parts photos there.

      Delete
    2. I see while I was rambling I forgot to answer your question about what colour I'm planning for the roof. I don't know :-)

      Delete