Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Weekly Herald: Basic Structure

After finishing off the Canadian Press complex I thought I'd try and do a speed build on the Weekly Herald as I did on Cal's Coastal Cafe earlier in the summer. I made a start, but no such luck on the speed thing :-(


I figured I'd start by building up the basic structure and then spray it with white primer in preparation for detail painting.

Assembly was slow because there was a lot of sanding and filing and fitting required to get the pieces to glue together nice and square and even. The mouldings are not the most precise, and there seemed to be a considerable amount of flash on the parts. It reminded me of the time I had building the old Revell Gran Turismo kit. Back in the '70s I loved many of the old Revell automobile kits, but although the designs were great, half the time they had twisted bodies as well as parts that weren't too sharp and had lots of flash. They seemed to require a lot of work to make a presentable model. Although this Weekly Herald is an AHM boxing, it's a reboxing of the Revell original, and maybe the production processes that plagued the automobile kits were a problem here as well. All speculation of course.
Once the walls were glued into a box, the structure seemed a bit wobbly, so I decided to add a floor and partitions to stiffen it. The floor is cut from 0.080" sheet styrene, and the partitions are 0.060". That elliptical hole near the the front door is me realizing after the floor was glued in that I wasn't going to get the front door to fit properly if the floor was attached to the inside sill. After some cursing, a hole was hacked in. 

I think I see a little snaking in one of the long walls, so maybe I didn't quite pull-off that whole nice and square and even thing, but I'll check, and if it's good it'll be on to priming. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment