Thursday, September 10, 2020

Still more about cut stone facades

Yes, I am somewhat obsessed with the stone facade on the Weekly Herald, but there is some reason for my madness :-)

I checked the Herald's instructions, and even the front wall assembly step shows random stones, further strengthening my suspicion that only the prototype model had the rectangular stone facade. 

Back when I was starting the build of a model of the house I grew up in, one of the reasons I stopped the project was I wasn't sure about how to build the half-stone facade.


That's a detail of the house's facade near the end of construction. As you can see the cut stones are very similar to those on the Weekly Herald. The house was built in 1957*, and wasn't unusual for small new homes in Scarborough at the time. Even here in Ottawa, they aren't hard to find in older areas. Just down the street are many from that era. I need to see if I have any colour photos of the stone work, and think about how I'd add such stone to the long parked HO scale model.  

*The real estate agent's sign still uses the old 2 letters, 5 digits telephone number pattern. A quick Googling suggests AT is pronounced ATlantic, which I think was in the West Hill area.

No comments:

Post a Comment