Thursday, December 30, 2021

Kicking 2021 to the curb

In the middle of Thrifty's construction

I’m never quite sure where to begin these year end retrospectives, but I guess listing the 10 most viewed posts in 2021 seems like a good place to start. So, here they are, from the 10th most viewed to #1:


#10: Repairing E. L. Moore’s Central Warehouse


#9: Cardboard thoughts in The Art of Architectural Modelling in Paper by T. A. Richardson


#8: Master index for the “E. L. Moore’s Legacy in the 21st Century” series


#7: E. L. Moore’s Ma’s Place: Original vs Kit


#6: Mr. Rogers meets E. L. Moore at the Ramsey Journal Building


#5: Did E. L. Moore’s track plan actually work?


#4: E. L. Moore’s Legacy in the 21st Century: HOJ-half-POJ


#3: The Art Metropole is finished… well, sort of


#2: E. L. Moore’s Legacy in the 21st Century: The Elizabeth Valley Railroad


#1: Was E. L. Moore’s Enskale & Hoentee RR inspired by the Gleish Valley RR?


Balancing the Pietenpol Air Camper

My special interest is making miniature buildings, and I finished a few this year, although not as many as I thought I would back in January:


Steinberg’s supermarket that was located in Cedarbrae Mall (ok, this was one I started in earnest in late 2020 and finished in the first couple of days in 2021, so even though it’s in the list based on a technicality, I like it, so here it is :-) )


Thrifty’s jeans store that was located on Yonge St.


The Art Metropole, also located on Yonge St.


The 30Squares HQ, which isn’t on Yonge St, and only exists in my mind.


Bachmann’s Contemporary House was built straight from the box.


Ocean Lookout built from an Atlas Elevated Gate Tower kit


Gluing down the roof of the Contemporary House

Like 2020, I’ve posted a lot, what with the pandemic encouraging me to stay home, or at least in nearby wilder parts of the province. Other than the E. L. Moore model restoration work, and chasing down the elusive Space Hopper, I’ve felt my heart wasn’t in many of this year’s posts or projects. However, over the last few months I’ve felt my interests coming back to life. I’m finding layout building and pursuing odd projects quite pleasant. I’m hoping I can bottle whatever caused the change (I think the pages of Voie Libre and the videos at Boomer Dioramas had something to do with it) and drink from it in the new year whenever my spirits are lagging. That’ll be good to have on hand for the wintry pandemic months ahead.


Gluing the 30Squares HQ's walls together

Although, I don’t think even guzzling down the entire elixir will perk up my enthusiasm for the E. L. Moore book project. I’ve tried a few times to work on the manuscript, but whenever I do I have a sense I’m wasting my time on a lengthy and expensive project for which there’ll be little interest. But, I will continue to work on the E. L. Moore dioramas as I quite enjoy that, and I think photos of them will help further show what good work E. L. Moore did. If Google shuts down Blogger, and the E. L. Moore posts disappear along with all my others, then so be it.


Creating the cliff face on the Loonar Module

Predictions for the year ahead are always troublesome, but I’m hoping 2022 will be The Year of the Layout(s) and I’ll continue riding the wave of layout inspiration started in 2021.


Well, that’s it for me. Thank you for taking the time to drop by here throughout the year. Best wishes to you and yours for 2022!


Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Somewhere within this past year, many old ELM original buildings showed up at your house but I never read how that came about. A while back, you had seen and photographed the models and perhaps now the owner had died or wanted to part with them. In any case, it must've been a thrill for you to come into possession of them. Seems like it was worthy of a story in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I didn't publish the whole story for a variety of reasons, but I guess I should. But, the summary is: The buildings you mention were bought in the summer from a gentleman who was downsizing who kindly offered them to me. In September I entered negotiations with another gentlemen for another collection. We came to an agreement in principle, but then he appeared to disappear, and haven't heard anymore from him. Several more contact attempts didn't get a response, so I don't know what happened. I'm hoping covid wasn't involved. Anyway, it's a shame. There's lots of mysteries at this blog, and this another, "The Case of the Missing E. L. Moore Models."

      Delete