Thursday, December 16, 2021

"...more like town planning than railway modelling..."

That metre stick represents a sidewalk

It's more like town planning than railway modelling, but it's probably the part of the hobby from which I get the most pleasure.

Jools Holland on track planning, from the article on his layout in the January 2019 issue of Railway Modeller. 

I seem to go back to that article on Jools Holland's railway a lot. It's inspirational in its ability to blend together disparate places into something that seems right. I especially like the photo of the section that combines both the English Channel and River Thames.

To my mind a model of a real place creates a personal take on history. Photographs can provide the stimulus but cannot evoke that special atmosphere in a way that models can. 

Jools Holland on his inspiration.

Before the action started
At present I'm simply arranging buildings to see if I can achieve the composition and feeling I'm after. Building placement isn't final, it's just to see if one particular arrangement can produce the right vibe. Right now I'm thinking it's not too bad. I like that density over on the right. It's packed with restaurants, residences, and a museum. But I must admit I'm feeling some irritation with the area over to the left.

I think it has to do with the placement of the World's Biggest Bookstore: it's too long and uniform. I rather like the variety and bumpy rooftop skyline of the buildings behind it. I think there's a need for more variety in the buildings that face the shore. More thinking with models ahead.

5 comments:

  1. The business section looks too cramped. To relieve that, I'd take the two oldest looking buildings (Ma's Place and the brick factory next to it) and move them maybe into the front left and somehow make them look like they're in the "old" section. The others kind of stand together better. But it would contrast interestingly with the old section up front, newest in the rear and the "regular" congestion to the right. Plus it would tone down the bookstore's large size and boxiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas! I've been giving some other ideas a try and I'll try yours as well.

      Delete
    2. If it's not too late, imagine putting the older buildings onto a sloping down hillside on that front left side. Plus some overhanging trees that show the age of that section. Ma's place up front and the factory behind it, maybe with a dummy track section diagonally across the corner?

      Delete
    3. The bookstore would have a wall of trees behind it but a lot of parking up front, neat and newer. The business section over on the right gets some decorative trees but mostly urban sprawl. The oldest section up front left would be under the spreading chestnut, so to speak.

      Delete
    4. These sound interesting. I must admit though that I'm going to keep the board flat for a number of reasons. Nothing is finalized except the flat surface.

      Delete