Monday, February 24, 2020

Ain't no mountain Lowe enough

When we were in Los Angeles last month, we made a special side-trip up the Angeles Crest Highway to hike on Mt. Lowe. Long story short, unlike last time, I hiked it, but afterwards regretted it.

Although it was sunny in the mountains, with temperatures in the mid to high 50s, parts of the trail that were in shadow were covered in rotten snow. Also, many trail sections had loose debris from slides. Often the trail was no more than around 12" wide with quite a drop on one side. 

When I was finished and back on the main trail I had an overwhelming feeling that I'd done a stupid thing, and was lucky to be back without incident. That night and the next I had nightmares about slipping off the trail and into the canyon. My mountain days are over. I'm sticking with the beach :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment