Monday, February 3, 2020

Of steel bars and highrises

The facade's base is a piece of 1/8" acrylic sheet. I've always used the score-and-snap technique to 'cut' this stuff, but have had problems with it where many times I'd accidentally break the piece, or wind up with a ragged edge. 

After a little internet searching I learned that I needed to use a substantial steel angle to snap the scored sheet against. I found a 4' steel angle at Princess Auto that did the trick. Basically, after laying out the facade on the sheet, I clamped the steel bar down on the line I wanted to score and snap, with the piece that would eventually be the model on the bench, and the scrap piece on the free end. I scored along the bar 4 or 5 times with a sharp utility knife, not with the puny x-acto shown in the photo. And, most importantly, I wore heavy work gloves and eye protection while snapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment