Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Plates removed

Maybe this is too detailed to discuss here, but here goes: Way-back-when I installed these metal plates between the panels. I thought they added extra stiffness and a 'mechanical' look to the layout. Ultimately, I figured all they added was frustration. One objective of the panel approach was to allow individual panels to be freed so they could be taken outside to the backyard for photos in natural sunlight. With these plates I'd have to remove between 7 and 14 bolts - depending on a panel's location - to free a panel: some from each plate, and 3 from each inter-panel edge connection. I got rid of the plates and reduced the inter-panel connections from 3 to 2 bolts. Wiring is connected with plugs, so no problem in that area. Again, like the ocean module extension, minimalism is the goal. I don't seem to have adversely impacted the layout, although without all the redundant bolts I'll need to be a little more careful when moving around bolted panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment