Monday, February 10, 2020

Ocean loop structural extension

The layout frame needed extending to accommodate the ocean module. What I added is a bit on the Rube Goldberg side, but all I wanted to do was satisfy my requirements in the most minimal way I could get away with.

When the layout isn't being used to test streetcars, or being shown off, this module support will be hanging on the wall. It's only bolted to the main frame so it's easy to detach.

There is a little science to its design. At first I thought I'd just add a leg to support the extension, but that would have prevented me from being able to roll the layout around at will as I work on it.


Also, the diagonal brace had to be wood - I used a piece of 1"x3" pine* - because it's in compression. When assembled, the rectangular module base - made from 1"x4" pine* - and the brace form a fairly rigid triangle. Although the base resists axial twisting fairly well, this isn't something that could handle hard use that might be encountered at a show, or with rambunctious children. I'm going to stick with this minimal frame and only add extra supports if necessary - fingers crossed that I don't find out I need extra supports by having the frame break-off :-)

*When I was shopping for pine at the local big box home improvement store my shopping technique got lots of stares. I select a piece of pine by sighting down its length and rotating it through all views to make sure the it's straight. Of course, I also try to make sure the piece is clear of knots. If a piece is warped, I set it to one side, and inspect another one. Once I found the pieces I needed, I put the rejects back. After I was done selecting pieces for this little project I noticed a few people staring like they've never seen anyone select wood before. Maybe they haven't.

2 comments:

  1. How long did it take you to find one straight and knot free? I'd have been there all day in my big box hardware store. Sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed reply. It's a long weekend here and I've been concentrating on the outside world....

      It took maybe only 5 to 10 minutes to find suitable pieces. Although I didn't count the unsuitable pieces prior to finding good ones. I probably only set aside 7 or 8 sticks before finding some good stuff.

      Delete