Monday, April 26, 2021

Straightening out the lumber situation

Paul knew what-was-what on this mystery all along. He correctly reminded me the lumberyard in question was McGee's Lumber Co. that also appeared in E. L. Moore's Jan '67 Model Railroader article, Turn Backward, O Time, along with the Central Warehouse. McGee's predate's Cal's Lumberyard by a good 6 years. I had completely forgotten I had seen McGee's back in 2015 and shot a lot of photos

From what little we can see of Mr. Koteles' model it does appear to match McGee's, although it looks like the boiler room has been placed at the other end of the complex. The only mystery left is I now wonder if the name McGee in McGee's Lumber Co. is some obscure reference to an episode in the old radio show, Fibber McGee and Molly? A few of Mr. Moore's projects made reference to popular entertainment of his day. I'm now lumbered with this question :-)

2 comments:

  1. I did mislead you on Cal's; sorry. But I knew it was one of the 2 ELM lumberyards. Especially since so many other ELM designs were in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need for apologies. I just assume when ELM lumberyards are being discussed I automatically jump to Cal's because it's one of his builds that is stuck in my mind along with Bunn's Feed & Seed, Jones' Chemical, and the Paper Co.. Cal's is also on my 'I'll build it one day list' :-)

      Delete