Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Ground floor detailing

Once I wasn't feeling as fatigued from the vaccine I went back to working on the HQ's ground floor detailing. When all the walls are in place it will be hard to access the ground floor, so I needed to do as much as I could before the other two walls are glued in place.







I added some joist-like strips of styrene to bottom of the second floor to give it some three dimensionality. The strips, which are 3mm wide and 0.030" thick, give the illusion that the floor has some strength, and they do give the model a little more stiffness. 

The light is an LED strip with a couple of leads soldered on.





I drilled a pair of holes in the elevator shaft for feeding the wires out through a hole in the floor.









Every lobby needs some sort of weird abstract art to signal sophistication to those who enter - or maybe just do a favour to a wayward nephew who needs to unload some art school projects from his storage unit :-)

Either way, a old watercolour cast-off was cut up for these pieces, glued to some scraps of 1/8" artist board so the art would stand-off from the wall, and then finally glued to the wall with some Weld Bond.







On the other side I added some vintage workplace safety posters I found on the internet. A notice board, as well as washroom and exit signs, were also printed out and glued to the walls.






I printed the safety posters slightly oversize and mounted them a little higher than normal so they could be seen through the windows.

I'd have to say that this interior is something of a caricature. It's less detailed and not as grimy as a real equivalent would be, but hopefully I've added enough elements to make it pop as 'real' once everything is in place.


To the floor in the truck unloading area I added some rudimentary safety markings, oil leaks, and dirtied the floor a bit. You can also see that some exit signs were added above the lobby doors.














That's about it for the main ground floor elements. I'm going to add some shelves and tables before attaching the other two walls. And I'm debating installing some support columns for the second floor as the open span seems unrealistic, although they'll block views.

 

4 comments:

  1. Bravo! Very nice work. Although I am looking forward to the completed model I must say that viewing the steps of its completion has been very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One of the reasons for slow progress is I'm making it up as I go along, which is not a recipe for speed....

      Delete
  2. I hope this catches you in time...though there's nothing a little de-bonder can't fix, usually...anyway, how about using magnets instead of glue? Itty-bitty neodymium magnets embedded in the corners should provide adequate force to hold the walls together. This way you could add or remove or rearrange the interior whenever you get the notion. I bought some way back a while ago for a rolling stock project that is still in the box, but the magnets are fun to play with in the mean time, and surprisingly strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't glued the walls together. I was doing some test fitting and found that when I glued the stiffened floor to the elevator block, the floor sat a little differently than previously when there were no joists. The upshot is I need to do a little trimming and filing to get the remaining walls to fit properly. Magnets sound interesting, although I'm not sure where I'd get them - some internet searching is called for.

      Delete