Saturday, April 3, 2021

Selective Compression [alternate]

Selective Compression: [alternate] The placement of uncompressed objects into a compressed landscape to create the illusion of great distance in a small area.

Usage: I used selective compression to model the scene along Ocean Boulevard.

Source: John Ostler proposes this alternative definition in his article, In defense of freelancing, that appeared in the December 2002 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. Mr Ostler states:

Selective compression is mentioned frequently by model railroad writers; however, it is rarely defined. Here is my definition for it: selective compression is the placement of uncompressed objects into a compressed landscape to create the illusion of great distance in a small area. This definition is different from the usual one, as you can see.

The usual definition is something like this: a technique to remove redundant visual and spatial elements from a building to distill it down in size to just the features that make it useful on a layout [refer to the main entry on Selective Compression for a fuller explanation].

from The Dictionary of Non-Existent Model Railroad Terms, 3rd ed., 2019.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. This definition broadens the range of questions to ask before compressing a scene. Instead of "how much can I fit by reducing the scale or removing repeated elements?" the questions get more interesting like, "What will create the best context to convey the impression I'm trying to suggest?" or "Which objects best work together to imply distance beyond the modeled scene?". Instead of an exercise in reduction, it becomes an exercise in selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found his whole article to be quite interesting. I need to read it again before I write something on it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for a alterative view of Selective Compression. There is so much to think about even in model railroading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have mentioned this in my last post. I read somewhere, where a model railroader used mirrors to expand the perceptive view of a main thoroughfare on his layout. I an still looking for source...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen a few references to that. I'll see what I can find. Speaking of mirrors, that reminds me of a Jack Burgess article I read once about how he put 'periscope-like' mirrors in a building near the front edge of his layout so visitors could see the layout through the building's windows. Amazing stuff.

      Delete
    2. I found the source. You can find them here: https://site-of-curiosities.blogspot.com/

      Delete