Friday, April 9, 2021

Lab results

Lost Ocean Line's track plan

With all the unusually good weather we’ve been experiencing this week I’ve had no motivation for modelling. Although, I’ve been dabbling in the lab :-)

I view Instagram as something of a lab where I undertake experiments. Some are me just trying to learn the things that Instagram can do, like figuring out how to create multiple image posts. Right now I’m trying to figure out how to post video clips. Other posts are meant as probes to see what people are interested in; others are just me archiving what I think are interesting pictures. So I try posting what I think are different types of photos to see if anything clicks.

Most posts these days get a fairly ho-hum response when it comes to likes, and most garner around 20 to 30 give or take a few. There’ve been a couple of outliers that have clocked in around 2.5x the usual number of likes. The post of Mels Diner at night on the old Lost Ocean Line Layout was one of those. 

The biggest surprise though was the photo of the Lost Ocean Line’s track plan. One day I realized I hadn’t posted any overview photos of the old LOL layout, so I posted one. It turned out to be one of the outliers in likes, and someone posted a comment saying they’d like to see the track plan. I soon discovered I really didn’t have a photo that properly showed the track plan, but I did have one that sort of showed it - it’s the lead-in one to this blog post. That photo turned out to get around 14x more likes than usual and continues to receive a steady trickle even now. The likes on most posts die out within 24 hours. 

The results of the LOL track plan experiment were quite surprising. Later I posted some track plan shots of other layouts, but no dice with those even as the LOL photo keeps generating a trickle of likes. Maybe the LOL track plan photo attracted an unusual amount of spam? Didn’t seem like it. Maybe people were just tickled by the layout's name and nothing more. Anyway, here at the 30Squares Media Empire we’re continuing discussions about that unusual lab result. Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. From your description and replies on the Instagram posts, it seems to me that you really miss this railroad and there's something about it that really speaks to you. Maybe some soul-searching as to why it pleases you will be productive.

    I know when I was looking for a plan to use for Pine Branch Park, I kept coming back to the same 4x6 plan from years ago. I had always liked that plan for some reason and could never put my finger on why. I just knew that one day I'd like to build it. Eventually I drilled down to a few good reasons but even still there's a form factor to it that is just pleasing to me. I've drawn a few plans like that, and the "Ideal" display railroad plan is like that too, so it's not just a single plan.

    Anyway, hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I'm becoming disenchanted with my current layout and it might have the scrapyard in its not too distant future. The LOL had a relatively short life because I think I used all it had to offer after about 3 or 4 years, and it more-or-less couldn't be expanded. I've been thinking about improvements to it that I think would make it 'better' and more to my liking. But, with the return of good weather, layout things might be on hold for awhile.

      Delete