Friday, June 12, 2020

Way out west in Havelock

Early this morning I rustled up some provisions, wrangled the accord from the paddock, and then headed west for the country, shaking the dust from my shoes and the cobwebs from my head all the way. Sometime around mid-day I made a side trip to the Havelock yard to see what freight cars might be parked there. There were a few.
I saw this one lettered for the Boston & Maine.
I saw this lettered by an unknown graffiti-ier.
There's a string of flat cars in front of this hopper.
There was a lot of stuff in the yard. No, I didn't trespass. These were all shot from the parking lot beside the highway.
The old station is still there, but these days it's a restaurant. We've eaten there many times, and although I'd love an amazing Montreal smoked meat sandwich, I stuck with my provisions - but, I'll be back sometime this summer for one. Today was the first day restaurants could re-open.
This little gem is across the highway. It's very model railroad-able - basically a chocolate box with interesting surface detail. The summer's just started, and I can see a few more stopovers to this yard in the weeks ahead.

4 comments:

  1. That service station would be an ideal candidate for the layered photo texture (a la Lance Mindheim) treatment. It appears you could get decent straight-on shots of two sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. I guess the only problem with taking a photo of the front facade is that pole out front. Next time I'll try an take a square on photo and find out.

      Delete
    2. Poles are easy! Just take the picture and I'LL blot it out for you.

      Delete
    3. Sounds easier than me trying to lever the thing out of the ground :-)

      Delete