Wednesday, June 3, 2020

One day billboard

Yesterday I did something I haven't done in a long time: built a model in one day (ok, it was a simple one) :-)

Rooftop billboards were fairly common in Toronto at one time, and the real estate on top of the bank of Nova Scotia building looked like it needed one.

The entire project was freelanced from studying some pictures and then gluing up a structure from various pieces of Evergreen styrene strip along with a small piece of 0.020" styrene sheet for the billboard's main surface.



The advertisement for radio station CFRA was scanned from their 3 May 1971 top 30 leaflet I found stashed away with some old papers, and then sized to fit the billboard. According to their top 30 for that day, Three Dog Night's Joy to the World was number 1, and Chairmen of the Board's Chairman of the Board clocked in at number 30; however, when it comes to model building I usually relate more to their other hit, Give me just a little more time.

6 comments:

  1. What are the odds...I've been studying a billboard over the last few days as well. Probably won't be a one day build, but who knows. Yours came out great.

    Oh, and when did the banner change to read 'In The Summer'? I just noticed a couple days ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I changed the banner a couple weeks ago to remind myself that even with all the insanity, it's summer. Ok, strictly speaking it's still spring, but I want to be in at least sort of a summer frame of mind when summer does arrive.

      Delete
  2. Excellent model JD. Billboards are a great way to help set the time and place on a layout. As most available products tend to be generic to appeal to a bigger market, making your own is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. The frame is based on a photo of billboard that was on top of the building where George's Trains was located in '76.

      Delete
  3. Looking great, I especially like the use of vintage style advertising.

    ReplyDelete