Sunday, May 26, 2019

Bill McClanahan, Legendary Model Railroader & Legendary Cartoonist

Bill McClanahan demonstrating his layout's remote control: snipped from Model Trains, Spring '59
Vince has recently been promoted to CCO, Chief Cartoons Officer, here at the 30Squares media empire. One of his first actions was to alert me that Bill McClanahan was a legendary cartoonist as well as a legendary model railroader. His speciality was sports cartoons, and he won a number of awards. 

I recall Mr. McClanahan best for his book Scenery for Model Railroads, and I still have my copy - the 7th printing of the 2nd edition ! - that I bought back in the '70s. Flipping through it again I see there are a few single panel cartoons attributed to him even though the wash drawing work is credited to Gil Reid. 


In the Feb '57 issue of Model Trains, Mr. McClanahan published a story called Camouflage those pipes with scenery, and it included those 4 drawings over on the right. They're uncredited, and may have been created by a Model Trains staffer, but if you compare their style to some of his sports cartoons, you might agree with me that they were likely drawn by Mr. McClanahan.

No comments:

Post a Comment