Thursday, May 9, 2019

The Ups and Downs of Renovating the Elevator Building

I call this the Elevator Building because that's what the gentleman who sold it to me for a Loonie called it - ok, technically it was his wife that sold it to me, but he did call it that :-) On-and-off over the last few weeks I've been working on turning it into something for the Alta Vista TC. I should maybe say 'restoring it' as it's clearly something from the '60s or '70s, but I have no idea what that something is. I haven't been able to identify it.







Some parts were loose, and some were glued on beyond all hope of prying off. So, I pried off what I could and took a look. What was left was glued together crooked, and too strongly to be pried apart any further without risk of serious breakage. To get the main structure to stand up close to straight I did a lot of sanding on the bottom to get rid of the tilt. It still isn't a perfectly vertical structure, but it's much closer than it was.






From that point I tried to sand off the glue blobs on the inside of the windows, polish, and then coat them with clear acrylic floor finish. After a couple of rounds, that considerably reduced the blobs, but didn't completely eliminate them. I can live with what's left. It was then on to masking off all the windows for spraying. I used Tamyia tape for that.

See down there in the lower left. That white piece of plastic is a bit of new window frame I had to create and glue in as the frame was a little too brittle, and my attempt to pry out the windows was a little too aggressive. I gave up as soon as that little piece broke free.


I did most of this work - well, it was more pleasure than work, but the language is what it is - over Record Store Day weekend, so I had to pop-out to buy some vinyl in between sessions of applying masking tape. I've played Treasure Island over and over, and still need to give Mr. Jobim a spin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment