![]() |
| The full run of Railroad Modeler magazine except for special issues. Those yellow stickies mark things I want to write about. |
I've written a little about Railroad Modeler magazine in the past, especially in regards to E. L. Moore's career. It was RM that revived it and marked the beginning of the 3rd and last stage of his presence on the national model railroading scene. And a very successful stage it was.
As I was writing about John Olson's Cielo Lumber Co. layout I began to think I should pull together all my notes and references on RM and try to write something substantial about it. I won't be writing about it as an insider, but as merely a reader, a reader with a history.
I don't think RM is all that well known in the general model railroader population. Maybe amongst those of, well, a certain age like myself. And if it is remembered, feelings about it seem to be mixed. That's an unfair assessment in my opinion. There's a lot of mundane stuff in its pages, but there's a fair share of innovative gold too.
When the magazine was a going concern between 1971 and 1980 (well, I think it ceased publication in 1980, I need to verify) I only saw and read the 6 issues from January 1974 to June 1974. After that I never saw it again on newsstands up here. The next time I came across it was in a gentlemen's basement who wanted to get rid of his collection to someone who would take it off his hands; no charge, just rid him of it. That someone was me, and that collection is shown in the lead photo to this post. It wasn't until I got it home, re-bagged the issues in acid-free sleeves and boxed them in a clean carton, that I realized it was a complete collection. That was in 2017. I've studied the collection a lot in the intervening years thinking that one day I'd write something about that old magazine. Well, that day has come. Ok, that year has come because the story will roll out over the year.
![]() |
| Railroad Modeler covers for 1974 Row 1: Q1 | Row 2: Q2 | Row 3: Q3 | Row 4: Q4 |
Where to begin? Conventional wisdom says to begin at the beginning, which in this case would be with the first issue, September 1971. Be that as it may, I'm going to start with 1974 because it was the January 1974 issue I first came across, and June 1974 was the last I saw back in the '70s.
![]() |
| Bird's eye view of the CP&I layout in the February '74 issue of RM |
Ok, back to regularly scheduled programming.
![]() |
| Apparently CP&I stood for Cahuenga Pass & Interbay RR in the series I assume Cahuenga Pass was named after Cahuenga Pass in Los Angeles where Challenge Publications was located. The authors also note CP&I was chosen to fit the acronym for Challenge Publications, Inc. |
Interestingly, I hoped that the CP&I would be a little layout so I might discuss it in the Little Layouts series, but no dice, it measured 8' long by 3-1/2' wide, just a tad smaller than a standard plywood sheet. I'd say that tad wasn't taddie enough to qualify as a little layout: omnivagant, yes; little, no.
![]() |
| The issues of April '74 ordered from left to right by increasing cover price: 60¢ | 65¢ | $1.00 | $1.25 |
April 1974 was a very intense model railroading time for me :-) I built E. L. Moore's RMC Paper Company that appeared in the April issue of Railroad Model Craftsman, and I built Peters Sausage Co. in N-scale (sadly, it has been lost to time) that appeared in the April issue of Model Railroader, and I schemed about how to buy an issue of The Spirit comic, but alas, I had run out of money buying model railway magazines :-)





you're correct; digital will Never replace print.
ReplyDeletei have always been a fan of old radio serials (the Shadow, Amos'n'Andy, & so on)
years ago i collected matchbook covers. one of my7 prize covers was from Philco Radio company. the inside had the inscription "a rich man will never understand the pleasure a poor man gets from radio."
My father introduced me to the Shadow radio series and I quite enjoyed it. In the 70s there were some paperback reprints of old Shadow pulps released and I recall buying a couple at the time, as well as the old DC Shadow comic book. All were quite enjoyable.
DeleteHi JD,
ReplyDeleteRM is definitely overlooked! Sure, the paper quality and candid photography was not always of a high standard. But you're right, there be gems in there! A nice mix of photo and model, from REAL modellers.
1974 was also the year Railfan magazine launched its premiere issue. It was also groundbreaking stuff for REAL railfans.
RMs are still seen at train shows. I would likely never keep the whole issue, but I have saved articles and clippings in my files!
Thanks for starting to delve!
Eric
I'm going to have to see if I can find a copy of the first issue of Railfan. Thanks for mentioning it! Regarding photos in RM, while as you say the paper quality was sometimes lacking, I think they tried to push the envelope at times with model RR photography that RMC and MR were a bit too conservative to try. Hopefully I'll be able to point out those photos as the series proceeds. Thanks for you thoughtful comment!
Delete