Friday, January 23, 2026

Desert Dodge Do-Over, Part 7: Impatience & Frustration

The body was brush painted with mixtures of Golden acrylic products:
So-Flat Permanent Yellow, Fluid Benzimidazione Yellow Light, & High Flow Titanium White
 

I'm taking a very different approach to finishing the Desert Dodge than I'm taking with the RDC-M. With the later project I'm being careful about getting the body seamless and the sprayed on paint smooth and uniform. With the Dodge though, I'm brush painting it and not being too picky about whether seams from body sectioning are visible. It's not a bad look, but it won't be any contest winner. I just want to have some carefree fun with this project to get me through some tough winter weather.

There are some ugly joints that will need attention.
I'll be sneaky and make use of strategically placed decals :-)

Attaching the box and cab to the chassis though wasn't fun at all. I thought the chassis warp was mild and wouldn't pose a problem. I was dead wrong. There was a mighty struggle to get everything properly lined up, seated, and glued together. It took three attempts! 

I threw caution to the wind when applying the clamps on the third (!) attempt.

There're are some ugly joints that will need attention. At this stage base coats of paint have been applied and there's lots of detail work and finessing to go. 

The front fenders had to be superglued to the chassis.

I seemed to be cursed building old kits that have been repopped. The GMC Jimmy, Revell Turismo, the Engine House, and the P-38 Lightning were all struggles. I go into these projects thinking I'll get a big hit of sentimental nostalgia, but wind up only getting a little hit of nostalgia accompanied by a massive headache.


I'm going to take a stab at detail painting and cleaning things up before moving on to building the roll cage. Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment