Sunday, January 18, 2026

RDC-M, Part 2: Waiting for Spring

First round of gap filling with Perfect Plastic Putty plus adding styrene trim.

For me, smoothing and finishing a sectioned shell is a rather lengthy process of filling gaps, smoothing with sanding sticks, papers, and files, priming, and repeating the process until the shell looks more-or-less seamless. This is the process I followed with both Variation #3 and the Jigger.

Starting to fill the gaps in the roof

The problem here is it's the dead of winter and spraying primer outside is out of the question, and I don't spray paint inside the house, so further work on the body is going to have to wait for spring to arrive.


While I wait for winter to end, I'll move onto building the chassis so when spring does arrive it won't be long until I have a running RDC-M. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Though our California winter weather is much more mild than the frigid conditions you endure, I still feel your pain. What would be great is a nearby heated maker space with a paint booth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's likely one around here, but working on the seams is a long, slow process - well, it is for me anyway.

      Delete