Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Eye-level diorama stand: a working test article

Posing in a living room nook

For the past few weeks I've been working on a design for a Loonar Module stand that would allow me to test some ideas on viewing layouts and dioramas at eye-level. I finally settled on the design shown at the left, and decided to build it.

Some things to keep in mind. This wasn't meant to be a piece of fine furniture, but something to test out ideas. This being the case I wanted to use as much scrap has I had on hand for easy, low-cost construction.

Also, I wanted this to be as flimsy and scrawny as I thought I could get away with. And it had to be as lightweight as I dared build because it has to be carry-able from the basement to anywhere in the house. Any carpenters out there will readily see this isn't a proper, robust structure. In the end I found it isn't too bad stiffness and stability wise, but it certainly won't stand up to rough handling, or children.

With this stand I wanted to create a particular visual experience: I wanted my eyes to be level with a locomotive on the track, to be forced to look up at the tall trees and down to the water, just as if I was actually standing in the Loonar Module's world. I thought the tallness of the trees wouldn't come across if the layout was at standard table height and the viewer looked down on them. That is physically wrong.

I'm short and eye-level for me is around 64", so given that and the above requirements, I arrived at the following dimensions and material sizes:

1. The Loonar Module has a 2'x2' footprint, so the platform it rests on is a 2'x2'x1/4" piece of Masonite I had in my crawlspace scrap pile. This is a standard size one can buy at a Home Depot or other home reno store.

2. The verticals are 1"x2" pine, cut to 55-3/8" lengths. I had to buy these as I didn't have any suitable scrap material. I was going to use 2"x2" framing spruce, but couldn't find any in the store that were straight enough, so I went over to the finish lumber section and bought 4, 1"x2"x6' pine pieces for about $6 CDN each. Expensive, but they're good material.

Awaiting paint
3. The horizontals are 1"x4"x2' pieces of cedar. I had 2, 8' pieces stored outside behind my shed for a few years, so I figured their time had come. They were badly stained by the weather, but dry and straight. These 8-footers were cut into 8, 2' lengths.

4. The stand is mounted on 4 of the least expensive furniture casters I could find. I didn't have any on hand and had to buy 4, also for around $6 CDN each. Each is rated for a 50lb load, which is quite sufficient for this featherweight project. The wheels are 2-3/8" tall. I wanted to put the stand on wheels because I want to have the ability for it to be placed in the centre of a room so it can be looked at from many viewpoints. 

5. The whole thing is held together with 1" and 1-1/4", No. 8 wood screws. Luckily I had plenty on hand. 

Once built it was painted flat black to visually de-emphasize the stand and its quirks. 

My initial impression is I'm liking it. When I walk up to it and look at the layout I do see the views I see in my mind. However, there are many tests and improvements ahead. A few that come to mind:

1. It will likely need some weights at the bottom. My plan was to staple wire mesh to the bottom horizontals to form a tray for a few bricks. Visually, if the mesh is also painted black, the red bricks won't look too bad. If I could find an old section of rail to replace the bricks, that would be most excellent :-)

2. The top platform needs a ledge to prevent the layout from accidentally being bumped off. 

3. I need to make a battery powered throttle so that there aren't any electrical extension cords radiating off this thing for viewers to trip over. For casual viewing and use, such a throttle should be sufficient.

4. I'm thinking I might add a diagonal shelf for showing supporting material and adding a little shear strength to the tower. Some battery powered LEDs on the underside of the platform would provide some light. 

No doubt there are other things that I'll find out, but so far, so good.

---

Afternoon update: Donna dropped by, had a look at the setup, and provided the first problem report: “Buddy, it may be eye level for you, but it needs to be adjustable.” Problem noted. Hmm. I’m going to need a problem tracking system if this keeps up :-)

4 comments:

  1. The stand looks great! If you don't want to build a controller from scratch, you may want to consider a Rokuhan throttle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for the tip. I haven't heard about that brand.

      Delete
  2. Your stand looks very similar to the one ELM built for his Enskale & Hoentee RR. Maybe taller, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I think I have a photo of it. I'll dig around. I think that stand of his had a drawer.

      Delete