Sunday, August 28, 2022

Moore in the summer of '77

Left: Cal's Lumber Yard | Right: Grusom Casket Co. (both snipped from July '77 MR)

Galen tipped me off to some E. L. Moore goodness in the Trackside Photos section of the July 1977 issue of Model Railroader. On the left is a build up of Cal's Lumber Yard by George Landow, which is appropriately called the E. L. Moore Lumber Co., and on the right is a build up of the Grusom Casket Co. kit on Lila Martin's Sierra & White River RR (I also see what looks like another Machine Shop build up in the full picture, which I didn't include here). I sometimes think a list of all E. L. Moore project sightings in model railroading magazines since the '60s would be as thick as a telephone book, if telephone books still existed :-)

4 comments:

  1. I do love that old-time box car on the left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it just fits in the lumber yard.

      Delete
    2. Looks like a Central Valley "Cutler and Savidge" lumber car; very appropriate for the setting.

      A "telephone directory depository" would be a humorous description for a structure. Perhaps Uncle Cal has a scheme to recycle them and make something marketable with the pulp.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for letting me know what car that is! I'm going to see if I can find one, and I wonder if ELM used one in his photos of the project.
      A Telephone Directory Depository sounds just unusual enough to make me think such a place might have once existed. In the Dowdy World maybe?

      Delete