Saturday, October 23, 2021

Loonar Module: In the Pink

I'm starting to settle into winter projects, and one that I've had on my mind all summer is a new test layout for running N, HO-9, OO-9, and O-9 equipment, as well as providing a place to test scenery building methods that I've haven't done before. Since I've been cutting up foam sheets for E. L. Moore dioramas I thought I'd buy a few extras and start on the base for the new test loop.

The base is 24"x24", built up from 1" thick foam sheets. I 'glue' the layers together with transfer tape, as one thing I'm testing is the use of that tape to build up all my layout bases. It has worked well so far with the diorama bases and on some test articles. The construction of this little loop layout will use as much of the tape as I can get away with.

The 'layout' - it's basically just a loop of track - was inspired by Bob Telford's Falcon Rock that was featured in issue #100 of Voie Libre International. Instead of a castle, mine will be more-or-less all southern Ontario type scenery so I can practice scenery building.

I've got a lot of projects on the go, and I've given up trying to sequence them. I'm just going to concentrate on building, not scheduling - it's a hobby, not a job. No doubt one project will rise to the top and capture all my time. I'll be curious to see which one it is :-)

2 comments:

  1. You're not making a lunar RR like the one from the 70s MR article, are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, although I like that article a lot and I would really like to build a layout inspired by it: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2010/03/launch-pad-layout.html

      Believe it or not, the Loonar Module has got be juiced up to finish the E. L. Moore EVRR in N scale. Watch this space :-)

      Delete