Tuesday, October 26, 2021

First round of filling

Yesterday I went out and bought a bag of CelluClay. That's it over in the upper righthand corner of the photo. All they had were 5 lb bags, so I've probably got a lifetime supply if it doesn't harden in the bag first.

I mixed some up as per the instructions and filled in all the cracks between foam pieces on the first level. I also did a little shaping to blend things in.

You mix the dry material with water, which produces something with the consistency of lumpy porridge - assuming I've mixed it correctly. I applied it with my fingers, and sometimes used a small Tamiya paint mixing spatula for getting it into difficult crevices. 

The instructions say it needs 24 hours to dry and harden, so hopefully tomorrow it'll be ready for some sanding and shaping. I'll likely need to apply a second round. If this works out I think this will be the material for building the mountain on the Elizabeth Valley layout. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. 5lbs from everyone's favourite(?) online retailer here (UK) would need a mortgage on the real estate, around £60 inc or even more. Imported from US! - A 1lb pack is £14 inc.
    That and the other similar paper mache modelling products all seem to want an awful lot to pay for what is basically torn up newspapers and a binder/adhesive.
    You can even buy 2L of ready diluted PVA(?) to make your own 'chewed paper' for £12.00 + shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily for me all I had to do was drive a couple of kilometres over to the Michaels and pick the thing up - Lowe's delivery :-) You're right I could have made my own, but I'm feeling lazy and thought I'd give this try. I'm going to transfer it to an airtight plastic container to maximize its life.

      Delete
    2. I should also note I got the idea for using Celluclay from watching this video over at Boomer Dioramas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHHvnZt8eE&t=35s He's running an excellent series on scenery making.

      Delete